3 Things You Need to Know When Choosing the Best VoIP Softphone
As more and more businesses make the switch to VoIP softphones, the overarching market is seeing significant growth. One recent report from Global Market Insights predicts that this sector will more than double, growing from a $20 billion value in 2018 to an estimated $55 billion by 2025.
What does this mean for you and your business? The market is heating up, and if you don’t already have the right VoIP softphone solution in place, chances are good that you’re among the high percentage of companies that will deploy VoIP in favor of traditional phone service within the next few months.
However, before you select the best VoIP softphone solution for your business, there are a few essential things to know about this type of voice calling technology.
1) Understanding VoIP Softphones: A brief primer
First things first, it’s good to have at least a basic understanding of how VoIP, or Voice over Internet Protocol, works, especially as many of its benefits are tied to its inner workings. Basically, as opposed to enabling voice calls over traditional copper phone lines (which are actually being phased out in many areas), or mobile networks, VoIP allows you and your business users to make calls over your existing internet connection.
While some VoIP systems use IP phones, which look just like a regular desk phone and are connected to the network either through Wi-Fi or Ethernet internet connection. Other business VoIP solutions are softphone applications that users install directly on their desktop or mobile device. These can then be used with a headset or the device’s built-in microphone and speakers.
2) VoIP Softphones: How do they work?
A softphone runs on most devices and platforms. You can get softphone software that runs on Macs, Windows devices, Linux devices, desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones and more. Most softphones can also run from a web browser. As long as you have a microphone and speaker, you will be able to connect from wherever you are.
A softphone uses software to mimic the functionality of a desk phone on your screen. The technology behind the software is VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) – which is the technology that allows you to make voice calls over the internet. All of the features of the phone are written into the software providing a friendly and intuitive experience while making a call. Instead of struggling to remember which button on your phone disconnects a call or transfers a call, you can use a drag and drop interface on your laptop to connect your customer to an associate, put a call on hold, or direct a call to voicemail when you’re occupied.
3) What best VoIP Softphone can do for your business
There are significant benefits that VoIP softphones systems can bring for your business, but some of the most attractive and impactful advantages include:
- Cost Efficiency: There’s no shortage of statistics on the potential cost savings of VoIP. In fact, according to Tech.co, businesses can expect to see an average of 50-75% savings when they make the switch, and these figures only go up for small businesses. This makes VoIP a great option for companies with a sharp eye on their bottom line.
- Seamless Collaboration: With VoIP softphone solutions accessibility from any location with an internet connection, users can leverage the system to maintain communication and support their collaboration from anywhere. And when additional features like online presence, file sharing, instant messaging, and even video conferencing are built into the VoIP solution, employees can save time during the day and take their productivity to new heights.
- Improved End-User Experience – Especially for Call Centers and Remote Workers: VoIP softphones are also the ideal business phone systems for contact center or teleworking employees. Advanced features are always accessible, and each contact center agent or remote worker can have their own, dedicated, and professional phone number.
4) Choosing the best VoIP Softphone: Features to look for
Now that we’ve established how VoIP phone systems work and the benefits, it’s time to turn our attention to the specific feature sets. Not all business VoIP solutions are the same, so it’s best to choose one that includes advanced features like:
- Voice and Video calling: Voice calling is a must, but support for voice conference calling as well as video calling is an added boon.
- Instant Messaging: One-on-one and chat room group messaging is a real advantage for employee productivity and collaboration.
- Presence: Out of office? Away for lunch? No worries! Users never have to wonder how to best get a hold of each other with the ability to set presence statuses.
SIP Phone Recommendations
It’s essential to choose a VoIP softphone solution that’s backed by an industry-leading provider with a track record for beneficial customer service. You should choose a vendor that does more than put the VoIP system in place and take off – a true VoIP partner will also help with integration and user training to make the transition as easy as possible.
In addition, the best VoIP softphones also come with intelligent call routing, where VoIP calls take the path of least resistance across the network. The result is crystal clear voice calling (and other features, which we’ll explore more in-depth a bit later) that’s simpler to use and more reliable.
Interested in a VoIP Softphone solution?
Get in touch with our team for a demo today.